10 Things to Consider When Visiting Africa
If you love traveling and always dream about exploring foreign lands then you should definitely visit Southeast African countries such as Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, etc. The region’s excellent climate as well as its iconic wildlife, mountains and attractive beaches makes these countries some of the most popular travel destinations on the continent for tourists. Like all trips, you should conduct detailed research to find out the necessary preparations to maximize your chances of enjoying a stress-free travel. Here are 10 tips you should consider if you want to travel to that part of the continent.
1. Most European and North American citizens require valid tourist visas to be able to travel to majority of these countries. Getting a Kenyan Visa for example is easy so you should just find out the necessary details from the nearest Kenyan Embassy or Consulate near you. Additionally, you should have a passport valid for at least six months beyond your intended date of leaving for your home country before applying for a Kenyan Visa. Once you arrive in the country, immigration officials will verify that you have a two-way air ticket before allowing you entry.
2. Most cities in Southeast Africa are popular travel destination in the region meaning finding a direct flight from your home country shouldn’t be a problem. The national airline carriers of majority of these countries fly multiples times a week to the United States and many European cities. Additionally, many European airline carriers such as KLM also fly directly to lots of these nations.
3. Vaccinations are a must if you want to avoid any infections while visiting any country in Africa and southeastern part of the continent is no different. Make sure you get vaccines for Malaria, dengue fever, Tetanus, Hepatitis A, B and C as well as Yellow Fever, Meningitis and even Typhoid.
4. It is always advisable to evaluate and choose a comprehensive health insurance plan from reputable providers so you can receive the best medical care abroad when necessary. If you have an existing medical insurance plan, find it if you will be covered during your time abroad. If that is not the case then you can sign up for travel insurance from major providers such as InsureMyTrip.com, LonelyPlanet.com or WorldNomads.com.
|MasterCard Money Exchange|
5. Most countries in the region have forex bureaus where anyone can change their money into the local currency. Alternatively, you can find many MasterCard and Visa branded ATMs where you can withdraw money in local currencies.
6. Finding accommodation anywhere in the region is easy thanks to the huge number of hotels and guest houses available throughout these countries. Hotel costs in Madagascar for instance, can range anywhere from $10-$300 per night depending on preferred facilities.
7. Local cuisine can be easily found in most of these countries if you love trying new food. Most large cities have restaurants which provide burgers, fries and other popular western foods. There are also a wide range of restaurants providing Chinese, Italian and other specialized non-African dishes.
8. Minibuses are the most popular form of transportation in most south east African travel destinations and can be easily found no matter where you travel to. You can also opt for taxis or large buses when taking long-distance trips.
9. There are lots of good beer manufacturers in the region if you are a fan of alcohol. Other types of liquor such as Vodka and gin can be found in bars and Clubs at affordable prices.
10. The region’s climate is predominantly dry and sunny meaning you should take summer clothes no matter which time of the year you plan to travel.
In addition to the tips above, you can find additional information about specific countries you intend to visit from the websites of your country’s embassy or consulate located in those countries. Information gathered from these embassies is usually current and accurate so make sure you don’t just brush it off.